Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Mini-Research Project: Roy Lichtenstein




Roy Lichtenstein. (American, 1923-1997). Drowning Girl. 1963. Oil and synthetic polymer paint on canvas. 67 5/8 x 66 3/4" (171.6 x 169.5 cm). Philip Johnson Fund (by exchange) and gift of Mr. and Mrs. Bagley Wright.
Can you see where Lichtenstein got his inspiration?
     The artist Roy Lichtenstein became interested in the way comic books idealised the human form and figure, how although nothing about the illustration style is realistic, we as readers read the image as being realistic. He liked to take a single frame out of a comic book, simplify it and change the wording to suit the message he wished to offer to the viewer.  According to Keith Roberts, Lichtenstein's work is about the way pop art and advertisements are able to "merchandise excitement and romance as efficiently, and as cold-bloodedly, as so many nuts and bolts," (Roberts, 515).  One of the other most important and obvious decisions he made with his work (excluding this one, of course) was the use of Benday dots, which directly reference the physicality of the way they are printed and remind the viewer of the processes that the origin material went through.

Lichtenstein purposefully pulls the subject of the painting out of it's original context in order to make the viewer see the subject differently. However, I feel he made these works for the audience of the day because it is obviously a reference to a comic book that would have been popular during the time the painting was created. By far it seems that Lichtenstein's comic book scene paintings are the most popular of his works. I am sure that the average art student would never know that he created landscapes which included the use of Benday dots and abstract works as well which featured the human figure.  According to Bradford Collins, Lichtenstein simplifies and unifies the scenes from comic books so effectively that it intensifies the emotions which are being depicted (Collins, 61).  The way that Lichtenstein approaches painting the scenes from comic books very simply changes the way the viewer sees and experiences that particular frame. As a comic book reader, I often glance at the frame, read the text and move on quickly to the next, but Lichtenstein's work really makes you want to stand in front of it and look at it, taking it in, trying to imagine what these men and women could be feeling and thinking and why they might do (or not do) the things they say. In an interview from 1963, Lichtenstein appears to contradict himself when explaining what his process intends to convey: at first he implies that he uses comic books simply as another formal way of applying paint to canvas, but then at the end of the interview, he admits that the paintings "entail 'a stylistic intensification of the excitement which the subject matter has for me,'" (Collins, 61).  Part of me thinks that like many artists, Lichtenstein had an original idea of his work, and much like other artists, once people start talking about it, one must view their own work in a different way. You might create something for one purpose but end up making something that says something completely different to someone else with different experiences.

These works of art are extremely iconic and I do love Lichtenstein's work, but I learned more about his work and why he made these pieces that I had previously known. I never knew that he sort of just wanted to simplify comic book scenes because he thought they would make interesting and colorful paintings. This work is so vastly different to the rest of his work that it is almost inconsistent and incongruous with the rest of his body of work, which spans almost 30 or more years that it sort of seems strange for him to suddenly make these. The fact that these works were also completed during a very short time period and contrast with his other works so sharply is interesting to note.

Roy Lichtenstein, Landscape with Boats, c. Estate of Roy Lichtenstein. Courtesy of Gemini, G.E.L., Los Angeles



Bibiliography

About The Artist: Roy Lichtenstein
Ernst A. Busche
Grove Art Online
Oxford University Press, 2009


Who Ever Said Studying Art Would Be Easy? The Growing Cognitive Demands of Understanding Works of Art in the Information Age
Judith Smith Koroscik
Studies in Art Education , Vol. 38, No. 1 (Autumn, 1996), pp. 4-20
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1320309



Modern Romance: Lichtenstein's Comic Book Paintings
Bradford R. Collins
American Art , Vol. 17, No. 2 (Summer, 2003), pp. 60-85
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3109436

Roy Lichtenstein and the Comic Strip
Albert Boime
Art Journal , Vol. 28, No. 2 (Winter, 1968-1969), pp. 155-159
Published by: College Art Association
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/775210

Roy Lichtenstein and the Popular Image
Keith Roberts
The Burlington Magazine , Vol. 118, No. 880 (Jul., 1976), pp. 514-515
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/878465

5 comments:

  1. I really like all of his work, and I'm glad you chose him to research because I learned way more than I ever knew about him! The fact that he uses those tiny dots to formulate and entire picture, especially in the context of his landscapes, is crazy!! That must take so much planning, which a skill that I need to work on in my own work. I think it's very cool that he took something, like comics, that he was interested in and he took it a step further. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been a fan of this kind of art before, but I do have a large amount of respect for the illusion of the eye that is used by the tiny dots to create such a wide variety of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you showed an image for one of his later works for contrast. "Landscape with Boats" is from 1996, in case anyone is curious. It is in the LACMA collection (see HERE).

    Did you know that Lichtenstein created sculpture, too?

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a chance to see his work in person, I think at the Weisman Art Museum in Minneapolis. It's fun to see in person because the colors are so vibrant and even though the dots are noticeable at first, once you step away from it, they start to blend together and you don't notice it as much, which I think makes his paintings very interesting. I always thought the text was so overly dramatic that it's lends a humor to the absurdity of the drama taking place within the picture. It draws our attention for our love of comic books and cheap romance novels, which thrive on unrealistic drama, and even knowing it's absurd we love anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was never into comic book characters, but reading about the artworks of Lichtenstein made me appreciate the work. Like you have mentioned, this isolated and simple version of a comic character really makes you wander what that character might be thinking or wander what is the next thing that they are about to say. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to save your comment to a document! You don't want to have to remember what you wrote in case Blogger eats it!