Abner Dean - American Illustrator and Cartoonist - 1910-1982
I found this artist through tumblr. I think it is important to post this, only because I wanted to share the personal connection I felt with this work. I haven't felt this for many artists, especially since I haven't seen a lot of art in person and that is perhaps the best, most full way / place to experience it.
You're chained to it, supposed to keep the knowledge, not forget it, use it, but don't lose it in the plain manufactured lives of those around but not near you.
These cartoons are powerful to me, showing me a sense of understanding of the human condition. We don't think of the strangers around us as people, with thoughts and feelings like we ourselves have. We see them splashing around in the fun of life, with everyone else, while we cringe and shy away from those waters, unable to feel the joy of the common, the normal.
But. It's not unique, I don't think. I think everyone feels this way, but some people are caught by the conditioning, caught by what society wants from you in order that you ought to conform to Normal. Everyone is unique, everyone has their losses, their fears, their self-consciousnesses, their folly.
Although everyone feels these things, feels this way, we don't. I know that's contradictory. We both are and are not special snowflakes. I like to learn toward that we are all special and all have something to say, or contribute, no matter how small.
no matter how small.
-----
Borrowed the cartoons from this amazing appreciation article (I will take them down if asked!):
No comments:
Post a Comment
Don't forget to save your comment to a document! You don't want to have to remember what you wrote in case Blogger eats it!