Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Art Enjoyed Over this Quarter


Some of my favorite paintings came from 15th century Flanders painters, Jan van Eyck particularly.  His double portrait of Arnolfini is just breathtaking.  The way Flemish painters described detail in oil paint is absolutely stunning.  The way Van Eyck captures detail in gems, gold, furs and textured fabric is beautiful and simply takes my breath away.  I loved learning that it was mostly Flemish painters who were working in such a detailed manner, their paintings seem to have had to take so long to paint because of the amount of detail and symbolism in each item.  
Albrecht Durer's use of the printing press to distribute and sell his work in order to make himself better known in the art community is one of my favorite things about him.  Not only was he a fantastic artist, he was a smart business man!  Although the subject matter isn't something I am necessarily attracted to, I am not put off by it either.  Not a religious person, I tend to not see the point of religious paintings or works of art, however, when reading about the Reformation (and the Counter Reformation) it made me appreciate the work artists and patrons were trying to do, even if I don't agree with their views.  
You may notice that thus far I have not discussed Italian art.  That isn't because I don't like it, it just isn't as impressive to me, painting-wise.  Michelangelo, for instance was a painter, architect, and sculptor among other things.  I think his sculptures are really where he shines.  Pieta is such a moving piece;  his command of human (male) anatomy is striking.  It is almost as if there are people sitting before you.  The way the muscles are modeled and the toes take the weight of his leg while Mary's shift covers and yet draws attention to her body at the same time.  It strikes me as funny now that he would choose to portray her that way since she is considered to be the Virgin, but is sexualised a bit in this piece.  (Although for a man and woman to really be married, they had to copulate, thereby making Mary not actually a Virgin, only a Virgin when she became pregnant with Jesus.)
Another artist I particularly enjoyed was Hieronymus Bosch.  His command of the surreal goings-on in his paintings is, simply, insane!  His paintings make me feel like I'm on drugs, looking at weird wallpaper that has transformed into something even weirder.  This is probably due to his use of saturated colors, odd actions, alchemical instruments that are larger than the humans, every day objects that are much larger than life and the way he has people literally flying on wings, or fish or other animals.  I would say that since I was already a fan of Surrealist paintings that this is one of my favorites because he seems to be the grandfather of Surrealism.  

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you were drawn to both visual and historical aspects throughout this course. I love the artists and works of art that you have mentioned.

    Several students have commented on how much they like Jan van Eyck's art. I knew of an art student in graduate school that decided to replicate some of Jan van Eyck's work for a project. This student worked with an art historian and they determined that some of Jan van Eyck's details must have been painted with a one-hair brush, because the details are too fine to be created any other way. Isn't that incredible? Consider, too, that the Ghent Altarpiece is HUGE (about 11' x 15') and the combined panels weigh about two tons. Jan van Eyck's technique and patience (!) are extremely impressive.

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love that he must have used single-hair brushes. I've used three-hair brushes before for small limoge enamel pieces, but one-hair is just. Wow. Small details are pretty much my favorite things in art, and I look forward to next quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh I love Flemish Art! The details they tend to have in their work is quite amazing. I, myself cannot even think of being able to accomplish tasks like that because of my impatience. One hair brushes? really? I get frustrated with the regular small, already produced brushes. That's just crazy. I also love the Pieta. That image in general is such an interesting piece to study, not because of it's actual content, but because of how much it can vary artist to artist; and in some of them, like Michelangelo's, the expression on Mary's face is so.....apathetic. I mean like, HELLOOO???? You are holding your dead son's body!! Show some emotion!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another Van Eyck Lover? Heck yeah! The amount of detail in his work is unreal. I also like how he was a bit of a rebel my depicting himself in a vary god like fashion in one of his works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like Albrecht Durer's prints. I like that he became popular and well known using technology (the printing press), which allowed his artwork to become widely distributed and available to many more people who couldn't normally afford works of art. I'm sure artists at the time didn't think that prints were a form of high art since it wasn't painting, sculpture, or architecture and it was artwork that was mass produced. I love prints and I think they take a lot of skill, especially if you are getting them as detailed as Durer's prints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea I think we were all van Eyck lovers... But it is true that his attention to detail is so awe-inspiring and I think that is why we are all consciously and unconsciously attracted to his work.

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to save your comment to a document! You don't want to have to remember what you wrote in case Blogger eats it!